Supermarket Dental Supplies

Thursday, 17 December 2020
Written by
Supermarket Dental Supplies

The sheer volume and variety of products available in supermarkets can be overwhelming when choosing the right supermarkets dental supplies. Here is a guide to help negotiate the dental aisle!

Toothbrush:

Be sure to use either a soft manual toothbrush or a rotary electric toothbrush twice every day. The plaque and food debris that you are brushing off is very soft so can easily be brushed off with soft bristles.

A medium or hard toothbrush is too firm and is likely to cause gum recession and scrub away the tooth enamel and dentine over time. A firmer brush won’t remove more debris than a soft toothbrush. Once scrubbed away, teeth and gum don’t grow back or regenerate.

The rotary electric toothbrushes are better than the vibrating kind of electric brushes. We want a toothbrush that will gently massage the teeth and gums and mimic the action of a hygienist polishing your teeth. The Oral B/Braun brand has been around for many years and replacement heads are easily available, with Woolworths even selling their own HomeBrand replacement heads that are compatible with the base unit. This is the brand of brush you will find in most dental personnel’s bathrooms.

Vibrating toothbrushes without the oscillating action tend to be too vigorous and often lead to gum and teeth abrasion so avoid these.

Toothpaste:

Ensure you are using a Fluoride toothpaste to reduce risk of decay. The big brands of toothpaste such as Colgate, Oral B, Macleans and Sensodyne all contain fluoride. After brushing we suggest that you spit out the excess paste, but NOT rinse with water. This allows the remnants of the fluoride in the toothpaste to have prolonged exposure to the teeth and reduce the risk of cavities.

Sensitive toothpastes contain the same amount of fluoride that the other toothpastes contain, so by using these products you aren’t losing the cavity fighting power by choosing a sensitive toothpaste.

Avoid toothpastes that are labelled as “whitening” or containing charcoal. These pastes are very abrasive and will often lead to an increase in gum and teeth abrasions and areas of sensitivity. The truth about these products is that they don’t contain enough whitening agents to cause any change in colour.

For those that dislike a minty-tasting toothpaste there are alternative products available that still contain the protection of fluoride. Soul Pattinson Pharmacy have a flavour-free toothpaste that is particularly popular with patients with low sensory tolerance.

Mouthwashes:

There is no need to include a commercial mouthwash in your daily oral care routine.  There is no mouthwash that is able to replace flossing.

Commercial mouthwash products that are sold are ineffective at removing the bad bacteria that live under the gum, but will kill off the good bacteria that keep your mouth healthy. They will leave stubborn stains on your teeth that can only be removed by a dental professional and can sometimes alter your taste sensation. Despite successful marketing campaigns, the current research concludes that mouthwashes will not “blast” bacteria from under your gums.

Should you require a mouthwash, we will prescribe one for you.

Floss and other useful tools:

The good thing about flossing is that you only need to floss the teeth you want to keep!

Toothbrushing twice a day will clean approximately 60% of the surfaces of the teeth, floss or interproximal brushes are the ONLY way to clean the remaining 40% of surfaces of the teeth.

Flossing or interproximal brushing can be done any time of the day, so long as it is done at least once every 24 hours.

There are many different brands of floss available, and there isn’t really a brand that is better than any other. Some people prefer the feeling of waxed or tape or flavoured floss. It’s really a personal preference.

There are gadgets such as the Reach Access Flosser which is fantastic for children and those with arthritis, big hands and disabilities.

Little brushes that go between your teeth (where people usually use a toothpick) are great for cleaning teeth. There are many brands available and a lot of sizes to choose from. Here at Grandis Dental we like Piksters.com   These are available in different sizes and are the most biodegradable and sustainable interproximal brushes that are available. It’s important to choose the size that smoothly slides between your teeth without being forced. Using an interproximal brush that is too big for a gap is likely to cause the gum to recede- and it won’t grow back.

If you need any advice on anything you have read above, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 0864042899. We are always happy to help!